Georgetown & Horry County make up the region known as "The Grand Strand". Stretching along the northern South Carolina coast, the Grand Strand encompasses over 60 miles of coastline and reaches 40-50 miles inland.
Average annual temp: 64.1 degrees
Residents and visitors of the Grand Strand enjoy a mild sub-tropical climate throughout the year. The Atlantic Ocean and warm air currents from the Gulf Stream help maintain moderate temperatures. On the immediate beach, weather conditions are generally windier and cooler in the summer by 4-8 degrees. Water temperatures range from 50 degrees in January to 85 degrees in August.
- The Rice Museum, Georgetown
- The Rice Museum Annex, Georgetown
- Kaminski House Museum, Georgetown
- Brookgreen Gardens, Murrells Inlet
- Huntington Beach State Park, Murrells Inlet
- Horry County Museum, Conway
- Myrtle Beach National Wax Museum, Myrtle Beach
- Children's Museum of South Carolina, Myrtle Beach
- Franklin G. Burroughs & Simeon B. Chapin Art Museum, Myrtle Beach
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! Myrtle Beach
- Alabama Theater, North Myrtle Beach
- Celebrity Theatre, North Myrtle Beach
- Dixie Stampede, Myrtle Beach
- Carolina Opry, Myrtle Beach
- The Palace Theater, Myrtle Beach
- The Ice Castle, Myrtle Beach
- Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament, Myrtle Beach
- Legends in Concert, Myrtle Beach
- Swamp Fox Players, Inc., Georgetown
All children between the ages of 5 & 17 (by September 1) must enroll in school. Schools operate 180 days a year. Students must attend at least 170 days to receive course or grade credit.
Contact the school district Planning Office (Horry County (843) 488-6700, Georgetown County (843) 546-2561) to find out which school your child will attend or visit their website Horry County Schools or Georgetown County Schools. You must visit the school to register your child. To register, you need:
A valid birth certificateProof of immunization on a SC Certificate of Immunization formDocumentation of residence in your school's countyA Social Security number for your childGrand Strand Universities & Colleges, Industrial, Technical & TradeCoastal Carolina CollegeCoastal Carolina UniversityGolf Academy of the CarolinasHorry-Georgetown Technical CollegeNorth American Institute of AviationRutledge Education SystemWebster UniversityAcademy for the Arts - Science & TechnologyCarolina College of CosmetologyShowcase Models & TalentStrand College of Hair DesignChristian Academy of Myrtle BeachLowcountry Day School
- Conway Medical Center (843) 347-7111
- Georgetown Memorial Hospital (843) 527-7000
- Grand Strand Regional Medical Center (843) 692-1000
- Loris Healthcare System (843) 716-7000
- Waccamaw Community Hospital (843) 652-1000
The Grand Strand has many different types of parks and recreational facilities offering residents and visitors various adventures. From baseball fields, basketball and tennis courts to plantations, state parks, marinas and fishing charters, there is something for everyone. And don't forget the over 106 exceptional golf courses!
Whether you enjoy shopping at malls, catching bargains at retail outlet stores or meandering through specialty shops you will find all of these and more along the Grand Strand.
Buses, taxicabs, trains and planes (Myrtle Beach International Airport) can get you up and down, or in to and out of the Grand Strand area.